Saturday, August 15, 2015

:: Bee Adventure # (Oh, who's counting) | Retrieving Bees from an Old Log ::

It's been an adventureous & educating month in the bee area of my life that's for sure! A few days ago a friend and I had the opportunity to retrieve a small hive of bees from a log that a tree company had delivered to a local business. After chainsawing a section of the tree out we loaded it in my truck and brought it to my house where we could work on getting it open. This was quite the process! We carefully cut the comb from the log and used rubberbands to hold them into the hive frames. (I can't believe I didn't get a photo of them. I will do that asap!) We were not able to visually see the queen so we left the log, the hive box, and my truck which was covered in bees alone for the night. Well all except my husband who decided to go out there after dark to show a friend the log and got stung! The man who is so afraid of bees and was allergic to them when he was little. Well, he said it hurt like hell but no swelling. The good news : he has hopefully "outgrown" his allergy over the years & the even better news : He can stop being a wuss around them and start helping me. Yay, he says that's NOTgoing to happen. LOL!


No comments:

Post a Comment