Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Cream of Tomato Soup :: Using up last years tomato juice

Last summer we planted nearly 30 tomato plants; mainly Romas ...
We had so many tomatoes, that by the end of Summer we finally just let the chickens wonder the garden and enjoy them as well. 

My goal was to learn to can. I remember my Mom spending hours in the kitchen making tomato juice and soup to put away for later use. So, one afternoon last Summer she spent the day teaching me, just the way her Mom had taught her. 

I was happy to bring home jars of juice and soup for the winter!
The kids LOVE the soup and while we used many jars of the juice making chilli we still have an abundance left on the shelves.
 
So, one day last week we made Cream of Tomato Soup (Using Homemade Tomato Juice)
This soup is perfect on a cool rainy day like today!
Pair it with grilled cheese and it will be a hit with kids of all ages!

**Note: I wrote this recipe down in my notebook and didn't make a note of where I found it on the web. As soon as I figure that out I will reference the source.**

Cream of Tomato Soup
2/3 c. real butter (not margerine)
1/2 c. flour
6 c. tomato juice
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4-5 c. milk
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt 

1. In a large sauce pan, melt butter over med. heat. Then wisk flour until smooth.
2. Add tomato juice until it thickens.
3. Whisk in soda, 4 c. milk, sugar, & salt. Cook until heated through. If you want creamier soup, add more milk. 
Notes: I used whole milk and actually added more salt to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment