Thursday, April 30, 2015

:: Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam ::

Just  a few short weeks ago I checked on our rhubarb patch and a majority of the 30 plants I put in last year were just beginning to pop up.
Fast forward to last night & boom they were starting to head out (I got rid of those quickly) and picked a few stalks that were big enough to be thinned out.
Today I made three batches of Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer jam. It's SO yummy ya'all & super easy!
A friend introduced this to us a few years ago and it's a HUGE hit with our kids. In fact if we run out, I hear constantly "mom, we need more jam".
Start with 4 cups of Rhubarb (I actually used some that I had frozen last year.) and 1/4c water.
Bring to a boil, constantly stirring and mashing with a potato masher as it cooks down. Add 2 cups of sugar and mix in well.
Once it's mashed down good add 1 small package of strawberry jello. Stir in and boil for one minute.
Let cool slightly (not too long or it will completely set up before you have it in the jars) and pour into hot jars or the plastic Ball Freezer jars. LOVE these little jars!
Let sit until cool enough to put into the refrigerator or freezer. (This type of jam must be stored in a refrigerator or freezer.)
Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam
4 c. Rhubarb
1/4 c. Water
2 c. Sugar
1 sm. pkg. Strawberry Jello

Bonus, your house will smell AMAZING!
What's your favorite Rhubarb recipe? I have feeling I'll need to be trying a few new ones soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment